Monday, April 14, 2008

The Interview

I was called for my interview at Wal_Mart 3 days after submitting my application. The assistant manager though I would be perfect for working the late shift in the Deli since I had food handling experience (assistant manager at Arby's 8 years ago) and he also thought my experience would earn me much better pay than what I was expecting (I was only expecting to get 6 dollars an hour but was offered 8.20, that good pay in small town in Arkansas. I was interviewed by the deli manager and by the assistant manager. The entire process took an hour.

The entire time I was there (an hour and a half) the cold white walls and the prospective of not only having to work with food again but having to work for hourly pay again as well began to sink in on me, pressing down around my shoulders and making me feel very depressed. I had been self employed and working on my own for 5 years now and if it weren't for the crappy economy and the sales on all three of my home businesses being down 65% I wouldn't have been sitting there interviewing for a position at Wal-Mart. I would be home enjoying the fruits of my labor like I was a year ago. There 8.20 an hour was still far from the 100 to 1000 dollars a day I was making less than a year ago but it was better than the 20 or 30 and sometimes 50 dollars a day I've been averaging lately. Especially when you added that 20 or 30 dollars a day to the 40 dollars a day I would me making at Wal-Mart. It also meant possibly having the chance to save up an adverting budget for a USA based business that would cater to customers in the UK (there not having a recession in the UK and there money is worth twice as much as ours is).

After my interview I was given a blue and white form to take to a local clinic for my drug test. About a week later they called me back and scheduled my orientation. A surprisingly 8 hour 2 day long orientation.

No comments: